Ever wondered what the staffers of Congressional Black Caucus members do after their stints on Capitol Hill? The answer, according to a Huffington Post article by Ryan Grim and Zach Carter, is they do the same thing most of their white colleagues do. They go to work for the big corporations which fund the careers of their former bosses. They become lobbyists for giant telecoms, for greedy banksters, for military contractors, for agribusiness, Big Oil, Big Pharma, big gentrifiers and the rest, all of which are finding their black faces and their ties to the Congressional Black Caucus, and the CBC itself especially useful these days.
“[African-Americans] must march from the rat-infested, overcrowded ghettos to decent, wholesome, unrestricted residential areas disbursed throughout our cities…. They must march from the play areas in crowded and unsafe streets to the newly opened areas in the parks and recreational centers,” said Whitney Young Jr., executive director of the National Urban League.
When I read those words this week, I thought it sounded like a good recommendation for residents of my hometown, Washington, DC, which has in essence been two separate and unequal cities since my great grandparents came here in the 1920s—and it remains so today.
- Finishing The March: African-Americans and the Jobs Deficit (ourfuture.org)
- Finishing The March: African-Americans & the Jobs Deficit (bilerico.com)
- What does freedom actually mean to you? (northcountrypublicradio.org)
- At John Brown Day, what does freedom mean? (northcountrypublicradio.org)
- Report: $10.10 Minimum Wage Would Bring 6 Million Workers Out Of Poverty (progressillinois.com)
- Feelin’ Groovy: High School Fashion, 1969 (life.time.com)
Two students who interrupted Senator Rand Paul‘s speech at Howard University with accusations of racism told Campus Reform that they also consider the Tea Party, opponents to national health care, and capitalism to be discrimination against minorities.
- Serwer: No Gold Star for Rand Paul (drudge.com)
- The Birth of a Nation, Rand Paul’s Fourth Wall: The Purpose of Distorting American Political History (jackandjillpolitics.com)
- Jon Stewart Takes On Rand Paul (johnbalaya.wordpress.com)
Lupe was the headliner at the StartUp RockOn concert in celebration of Obama’s second term in Washington, D.C. But instead of celebrating the president’s re-election, he took the opportunity to bash him. After performing his anti-war single “Words I Never Said” for over 30 minutes, he was asked to move on to the next song. When he didn’t comply, security told him to leave the stage.
“Things going terribly wrong at @lupefiasco performance during #SURO. Kicked off stage, bashing obama,” tweeted CNN’s Matt Dornic. “#SURO slammed by @lupefiasco’s nonstop, anti-obama rap. Corporate sponsors scurrying.”
Hypervocal, which co-founded StartUp RockOn, denied that Lupe was asked to leave for his anti-Obama rant. “This was not about his opinions,” said the organization in a statement. “Instead, after a bizarrely repetitive, jarring performance that left the crowd vocally dissatisfied, organizers decided to move on to the next act.”
This is not the first time Lupe has spoken out against the president. In an interview from 2011, he called Obama a terrorist. “In my fight against terrorism, to me, the biggest terrorist is Obama in the United States of America,” he said.
- Lupe Fiasco Kicked Off Stage at Inauguration Party (snspost.com)
- Lupe Fiasco escorted off stage after anti-Obama comments (washingtonpost.com)
- Lupe Fiasco Did Exactly What You’d Expect Lupe Fiasco To Do At An Inauguration Concert And He Got Thrown Off The Stage For It (dlisted.com)
- WTF: Lupe Fiasco Removed From Stage At Inaugural Performance After Slandering Obama (itsstrictly.com)
- Lupe Fiasco Kicked Off Stage at Obama Inauguration Lupe Fiasco Obama Slander (puplewig.wordpress.com)
- Lupe Fiasco Kicked Off Stage After Anti-Obama Rant At Inauguration Party: Reports (gossipcop.com)
- Rapper Lupe Fiasco Kicked Off Inauguration Stage for Playing Anti-War Song (thedailysheeple.com)
- Lupe Fiasco Kicked Off Stage After Anti-Obama Rant [Video] (dabxblogger.com)
- Rapper Lupe Fiasco kicked off stage at inaugural concert (newsfixnow.com)
- Lupe Fiasco kicked off stage after Obama bashing at inauguration (blogs.suntimes.com)
This is the president we have been waiting for… Cool as heck!
- A day pulsing with history follows very old script (kmov.com)
- Crowds Throng to Mall, Ready to Witness History (washington.cbslocal.com)
- INAUGURATION WATCH: Tradition renewed, church trip (hosted.ap.org)
- Crowds throng to Mall, ready to witness history – Daily News – Galveston County (galvestondailynews.com)
- Gathering Masses (ktvb.com)
- Crowds throng to Mall, ready to witness history (seattletimes.com)
- Crowds Throng to Mall, Ready to Witness History (abcnews.go.com)
- A Day Pulsing With History Follows Very Old Script (washington.cbslocal.com)
- A day pulsing with history follows very old script (turnto10.com)
- Seven (Yes, 7!) Slave-Themed Films Coming in 2013 (colorlines.com)
- The 2012/2013 Saratoga Reads book choice of the year is… (timesunion.com)
- Film links 19th century slavery to contemporary bondage (usatoday.com)
- Saratoga Reads and ESC screen “Unchained Memories” (timesunion.com)
- Saratoga Reads book fair on Sunday (timesunion.com)
- 2013 film preview: Tarantino tackles slavery and Star Trek goes Into Darkness (guardian.co.uk)
- Time to get the popcorn ready (todayonline.com)
- Octavia Spencer Launches Short Film Competition (Win Brand New Camera, Cash, Exposure) | Shadow and Act (habariganiamerica.com)
- Year of great movies? (thehimalayantimes.com)
- Hollywood Unchained: Will the success of ‘Django’ give rise to more slave narratives? (thegrio.com)
How does The University of Texas-Pan American’s award-winning Mariachi Aztlán top their 2010 performance in Washington, D.C., for a U.S. President?
- University of Texas Mariachi Aztlán to Perform at President’s Inauguration (hispanicallyspeakingnews.com)
- UTPA student files false report about being mugged for iPhone (valleycentral.com)
- Texas-Pan American says WAC invited it to join (espn.go.com)
- University of Texas Pan American Installs a New Presstek 34DI (whattheythink.com)
- Congressman David Scott Hosts Georgia Inaugural Ball In Washington D.C. (atlanta.cbslocal.com)