Mr. Flaco is curious to hear what I might want to write about a new report showing that boys are being left behind in education. Nervous, I stumble through my pitch about how it’s not all boys.It is black boys and teenagers. “Racism,” I begin, “has, you know, shaped the expectations the kids have of themselves and that teachers have of them.”“What’s going to be your recommendation?” he asks, a smile dancing at his lips. “Tell teachers to raise their self-esteem?”
Shonda Rhimes is talented and bold in her woman hood. This may be why she has been able to produce such vibrant characters in her scripts. So does she have a right to be angry at the latest attack from New York Times critic, Alessandra Stanley? This has been the year for the #OYRchallenge. Our women, men, and children are coming out in force against racist stereotypes. The answer is so what if I am angry? I am human too or is that still in question? Alessandra Stanley, your green eyes are showing!
The Angry Black Woman is a racist trope used to deny black women their humanity. Black women aren’t allowed to be complicated — they’re just angry. Black women aren’t allowed to be upset or vulnerable — they’re just angry. Black women are not allowed justifiable reactions to the myriad of bullshit — racist, sexist and otherwise — that they face. Oh, you know those black ladies are just so angry all the time.
- Move Over, Koch Brothers: A Bigger, Darker Rightwing Funder (progressive.org)
- Newspaper Guild issues statement about Tribune, Koch brothers and objective news (jimromenesko.com)
- Kathleen Miles: If Koch Brothers Buy LA Times, Half of Staff May Quit (huffingtonpost.com)
- Why big cities make media liberal and the Koch Brothers can’t do anything about It (nextlevelofnews.com)
CHANGE is the latest news to come out of Cuba, though for Afro-Cubans like myself, this is more dream than reality. Over the last decade, scores of ridiculous prohibitions for Cubans living on the island have been eliminated, among them sleeping at a hotel, buying a cellphone, selling a house or car and traveling abroad. These gestures have been celebrated as signs of openness and reform, though they are really nothing more than efforts to make life more normal. And the reality is that in Cuba, your experience of these changes depends on your skin color.
- Cuban Dissident Blogger Yoani Sanchez Visits White House (hispanicallyspeakingnews.com)
- Afro-Cuban jazz artist Bebo Valdes dies (vancouverdesi.com)
- Despite Change in Cuba, Racism Still Looms Large (theroot.com)
The poverty rate for all African Americans in 2011 was 28.1% which is an increase from 25.5% in 2005. Actually the poverty rate increased between 2005 and 2011 for every demographic of African Americans except those ages 65 and over who experienced a decrease from 21.2% to 18.8%. Black families with children under 18 headed by a single mother have the highest rate of poverty at 46.5% compared to only 8.6% percent of married-couple Black families.
- The Hidden Poverty Rates of Smaller U.S. Minority Communities (theatlanticcities.com)
- South Dakota leads nation in Native American poverty rate (rapidcityjournal.com)
- More than 1 in 4 Arizona Hispanics living in poverty (bizjournals.com)
- 72 Percent of African-American Children Are Raised in Single Parent Homes (atlantablackstar.com)
I loved this “repartee” between two feisty women. Its great when Joy asks if she should smack Ann now.
- Ann Coulter- ‘We Only Owe Black People Not Gays, Women or Immigrants Civil Rights” (habariganiamerica.com)
- WATCH: Ann Coulter’s Fiery Response to President Obama’s Gun Control Speech (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Ann Coulter Quotes (dummidumbwit.wordpress.com)
- Ann Coulter: White liberals tell black lies about civil rights (conservativeread.com)
NEW YORK (AP) — The reporter for Mother Jones magazine who broke the story of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney‘s remarks that 47 percent of Americans “believe they are victims” is among the winners of the 64th annual George Polk Awards in Journalism.
- Mother Jones reporter wins Polk for Romney story (cnsnews.com)
- Mother Jones reporter wins Polk for Romney story (utsandiego.com)
- McClatchy wins a Polk award for its coverage of Syria (mcclatchydc.com)
- Mother Jones reporter wins Polk for Romney story (wfaa.com)
- Award for revealing Romney 47pc remarks (bigpondnews.com)
- Mother Jones’ David Corn Wins George Polk Award (motherjones.com)
- Mother Jones reporter wins Polk for Romney story (mysanantonio.com)
- Mother Jones reporter wins Polk for Romney story (miamiherald.com)
- Mother Jones reporter wins Polk for Romney story (fresnobee.com)
- McClatchy wins a Polk award for its coverage of Syria (miamiherald.com)
Fox News contributor Karl Rove recently formed a group that will, in the words of The New York Times, work “to recruit seasoned candidates and protect Senate incumbents from challenges by far-right conservatives and Tea Party enthusiasts.” That doesn’t sit well with Rove’s Fox News colleague Mike Huckabee, who called Rove’s Conservative Victory Project “absolutely repulsive” and suggested that people like Rove are spending millions “to destroy a Republican that you don’t think is up to your country club level” during a February 8 interview.
- Roves Move Into Republican Primaries Enrages Tea Party (democraticunderground.com)
- Elect A New Congress Believes Karl Rove is Making a Mistake Attacking Ashley Judd (prweb.com)
- ‘Rove never worked for Reagan!’ (wnd.com)
- The Civil War Has Begun (breitbart.com)
- Rove Declares War on Tea Party (conservativeread.com)
- Bozell Pushes Back Hard Against Rove War On Tea Party (breitbart.com)
- Tea Party Groups Attack Rove Machine (breitbart.com)
- Fox Vs. Fox: Frequent Fox Guest Mark Levin Denounces Karl Rove (mediamatters.org)
- Howard Fineman: Political Read: Rove vs. Rand (huffingtonpost.com)
- GOP civil war heats up, Trump tells Rove he’s a ‘total loser’ (tv.msnbc.com)
The United States incarcerates a greater percentage of our population than any other nation – nearly 2.4 million Americans are behind bars, at a cost to taxpayers of more than $63 billion a year. Correspondent Martha Teichner looks into how that bleak statistic came about, and at efforts being made to change this.
- Study examines link between incarceration and psychiatric disorders (sciencedaily.com)
- mass incarceration nation (writinginsidevt.com)
- On the declining U.S. prison population: What’s going on? (theadlerschool.wordpress.com)
- Big new New York Times series on social science of incarceration (sentencing.typepad.com)
- “African Americans suffer from high rates of incarceration and crime. Here’s how to drastically reduce both.” (sentencing.typepad.com)
- Incarceration: A New American Past-time (waxpodcast.wordpress.com)
- The House I’m Destined To Live In (horsesass.org)
- The Gulag Ameripelago: US Incarceration Surpasses Russia’s (zerohedge.com)
- PPs, Mass Incarceration and What’s Possible for Social Mvmnts by BaBa Sundiata Acoli (moorbey.wordpress.com)
- MLK Jr. Day 2013 (reconciliationinc.com)
- Film exposes link between U.S. evangelicals and violent antigay Ugandan movement (rawstory.com)
- Evangelical Christianity Is Exporting a ‘Gospel of Intolerance’ to Uganda (patheos.com)
- ‘Gospel of Intolerance’ – American Evangelicals in Africa (richarddawkins.net)
- Uganda’s Gospel Of Intolerance (joemygod.blogspot.com)
- Film exposes link between U.S. evangelicals and violent antigay Ugandan movement (sott.net)
- How white American evangelicals fund anti-gay hate and violence in Africa (video) (americablog.com)
- Exporting Intolerance and Hatred: The New Colonialism (choiceindying.com)
- New Xulon Title Doesn’t Miss a Moment of the Gospel Story (prweb.com)
- Evangelicals (kidswithoutreligion.wordpress.com)
- NY Times Video highlights American evangelicals help to finance violent anti-gay movement in Uganda (oblogdeeoblogda.me)