The following images reflect the last words of ten unarmed African American men curated by journalist Shirin Barghi. According to her tweets, Barghi says, “I created these images to raise awareness about racist police violence in America and as an expression of solidarity. I experienced police brutality in my native Iran, and the struggle here to confront that violence resonated with me.”The information that accompanies each was posted on Upworthy by Andrea Garcia-Vargas to serve as a fact check and source of information for each image.
Courtesy of Slate.com
Before they even don their uniforms, police officers receive hours and hours of training about the appropriate use of force. At the nation’s police academies, they learn how to evaluate situations where force could be an option and when it’s illegal. By the time officers are patrol-ready, they know how to use their firearms, batons, and stun guns. Yet, in response to the chokehold killing of Erin Garner, New York Police Commissioner William Bratton has called for the “retraining” of his officers. Training is, of course, essential to law enforcement. But it would be a serious and dangerous error to shrug off these deaths and beatings by cops and simply attribute them to inadequate training.
There is now a name for the Ferguson, MO alliance against the murder of Black bodies, Hands Up, Inc. Hands up? Yes, because it may be the last position anyone sees you in before you die.
Purpose: “We are striving for a world where we deal with harm in our communities through healing, love, and kinship. This means an end to state sponsored violence, including the excessive use of force by law enforcement. We are committed to an America that comes to terms with the trauma of its painful history and finds true reconciliation for it. Mass incarceration and the criminalization of black and brown people must forever end, leaving in its place a culture that embraces our histories and stories. This means an end to racial bias and white supremacy in all its forms.” #JusticeforMikeBrown #Handsup #OYRchallenge
via Hands Up United.
The city acknowledges that Servin, seated in his car, fired five shots blindly over his shoulder at a man with whom he’d exchanged angry words.
That man was Antonio Cross who was on his cellphone when he was shot in the thumb. Another bullet struck 22-year-old Rekia as she turned to escape the gunfire. She died the next day.
“We didn’t even get a damn I’m sorry yet. We’re still waiting,” said Boyd’s brother, Martinez Sutton.
Rekia’s Boyd’s family will receive $4.5 million as part of a wrongful death settlement approved by the city council. But justice, they say, will not be served until and unless Detective Servin is criminally charged.
- If Trayvon Martin had been female … | Jamila Aisha Brown (guardian.co.uk)
- Child and woman shot on South Side (wgntv.com)
- Cop Hits Little Girl With Motorcycle Then Shoots and Kills Angry Dad (VIDEO) (secretsofthefed.com)
Journalist Martin Bashir spits some REAL truths and facts about the Trayvon Martin outcome! I applaud him for his honesty despite the “professional” backlash he may receive.
Murdered 15 year-old gets no justice from Dishonorable Judge Joyce Karlin
- YouTube Talent: Latasha Lee & The BlackTies – So Blind (thenext2shine.com)
- Video: Latasha Lee (@latashaleesings) & The BlackTies – Watch Me Now (djbaymusic.com)
- L.atasha A.lcindor “L.A. State Of Mind” (Audio) (getmybuzzup.com)
- Youtube Talent: Latasha Lee & The BlackTies – Watch Me Now (thenext2shine.com)
- Last of Four Arrested for Roundtree Murder Makes Initial Appearance (kcrg.com)
The proximity of their murders—Steenkamp posted a tribute to Booysen to her Instagram just days before her own death—presents an unavoidable reminder that gender-based violence cuts across society and cannot be dismissed as a problem faced only by others. (Perhaps unsurprisingly, though, the gory glitter of Steenkamp’s murder has overshadowed Booysen’s death in the international media.)
- South Africa’s macho society, where attacks on women are the norm (guardian.co.uk)
- The agony of South Africas daughter Anine Booysen. The agony of South Africa. (dailymaverick.co.za)
- Merundoi takes war on gender based violence to schools (kaieteurnewsonline.com)
- Oscar Pistorius arrest: The media frenzy translated (dailymaverick.co.za)
- The agony of South Africas daughter Anene Booysen. The agony of South Africa. (dailymaverick.co.za)
Speaking to Citi News, spokesperson for the group Baba Timothy said they want the Commander held responsible for the death of the young man since he, according to them, is shielding the “murderer”.
- Dale Cregan in the dock as police murders trial jury sworn in (manchestereveningnews.co.uk)
- Murder rate hits 42-year-low in London (standard.co.uk)
- Police arrest key suspect in Shahzeb murder case (dawn.com)
- Man ‘celebrated’ before PC murders (bbc.co.uk)
- Housemate charged with murder (smh.com.au)
- Police murders trial set to open (express.co.uk)
- UK News: Police murders trial set to open (walesonline.co.uk)
- Safe London: Murder rate hits 42-year-low (standard.co.uk)
- Expanded Text Version – Crimes Through Time | eLocal (elocallawyers.com)
- Issah Mobilla murder trial ends (modernghana.com)
“Now when you think of the term “sociopath,” it might conjure up images of the lone stranger who gets off by dismembering people in his backyard. While this may be true, the term isn’t reserved for only felons and serial killers.
This is because the sociopath’s desire doesn’t have to be murder. Sometimes it’s money. Sometimes it’s sex. Sometimes it’s control. And while many people have these same aspirations, what makes a sociopath a sociopath is that they are more than willing to hurt someone to get what they want. So if your feelings or your well-being have to be sacrificed in order for them to achieve that need, that’s exactly what will have to happen.”
- A Field Guide to the Massive Woolly Sociopath (myaccidentalmuse.wordpress.com)
- You can’t nail a sociopath (chickenlist.wordpress.com)
- Why Point Fingers at Grandma? (ponderingspawned.com)
- Empire, Power, and People with Andrew Gavin Marshall- Episode 45 (boilingfrogspost.com)
- Romney Lost Because No One Liked Him (boomantribune.com)
- Ayn Rand and Ayn Randists | Psychopaths and Sociopaths Incarnate (theageofblasphemy.wordpress.com)
- Serial killer planned murder of cell mate (metronews.ca)
- The Truth About Liars (healnowtherapyhypnosis.blogspot.com)
- How a Relationship With a Sociopath Led Me Towards Greater Spiritual Awareness (days365ofhappy.wordpress.com)
- Book Review: Dan Wells (theatrejunkie44.wordpress.com)
The former transit police officer accused of shooting an unarmed man at a California train station went to Nevada with his family “to clear his mind” after receiving death threats, his lawyer said Wednesday.
The lawyer’s comments came after Johannes Mehserle was arrested on a fugitive warrant in Nevada.
Leads led investigators to Johannes Mehserle, 27, in Zephyr Cove, Nevada, on Tuesday, authorities said. He was contacted through his attorney and then surrendered.
- BART Officer Who Fatally Shot Oscar Grant Seeks Legal Shield From Lawsuits (kron4.com)
- Oakland Riots Turn Violent After Police Officer Shooting of Unarmed Black Man Oscar Grant (binside.typepad.com)
- Ex-bart Police Officer Johannes Mehserle Arrested Charged With Murder of Oscar Grant (binside.typepad.com)
- Where Was This Outrage When Oscar Grant Was Killed? (bothwell.typepad.com)
- Oscar Grant Ex-bart Cop Johannes Mehserle Sentenced 2 Years Oakland Residents Protest Verdict (binsidetv.net)
- Justice for Alan Blueford (JAB) Rallies Against Police Brutality, Oakland 11-10-2012 (indybay.org)
- Tony Pirone shouldn’t have a badge (indybay.org)
- Movie chronicling final hours of Oscar Grant’s life chosen for Sundance Film Festival (mercurynews.com)
- Appeals Court Mulls Mehserle Bid For Immunity In Lawsuit Filed By Oscar Grant’s Father (sfappeal.com)
- Oakland Bart Police Officer Shoot & Kill Unarmed Young Black Man Oscar Grant Murder Caught on Tape (binside.typepad.com)