A year ago they had little room but now three sets of bunk-beds cram six people together in a place designed for two. They once had four television rooms but those are being converted into more bed-space as well. All the while, the conversation is alive about how much money the prison is making off them.
The Bureau of Prisons and Department of Justice run state and federal prisons, both of whom point to the national budget. If asked, representatives for these prisons say that no one profits from the inmates, that the prison labor is to sustain and maintain the prison itself and that it is government funded.
Corrections Corporation of America (CCA), on the other hand, owns and manages over 65 correctional institutions and prisons at every level, representing over 91,000 beds in 20 states. According to the public financial information available, CCA received 43% of their total revenue from federal correctional and detention authorities. The remaining 57% would be profit derived from prison labor. In 2011 alone they generated $351.1 million in cash.
- Prison labor booms in US as low-cost inmates bring billions (thelonestarwatchdog.com)
- Clive Hopwood of the Writers in Prison Foundation (myprisonpenpal.wordpress.com)
- Unless They Want Dangerous and Disgusting Prisons, States Should Run Screaming From the Corrections Corporation of America (habariganiamerica.com)
- Prison labor booms in US as low-cost inmates bring billions (EndtheLie.com)
- CCA Celebrates 30 Years of Business (prweb.com)
- Lake Erie Correctional Institution, Ohio Private Prison, Faces Concerns About ‘Unacceptable’ Conditions (huffingtonpost.com)
- Republican Privatization Schemes in Action: Subhuman Prison Conditions (crooksandliars.com)
- Happy Birthday CCA! You’re the New Parchman Farm! (deafinprison.wordpress.com)
- Largest Private Prison Group in U.S. Wishes You a Happy Black History Month (colorlines.com)
- Unless They Want Dangerous and Disgusting Prisons, States Should Run Screaming From the Corrections Corporation of America (prisonpork.wordpress.com)