Martin and Davis are two of at least 26 children and teens who have died in Florida Stand Your Ground cases. Stand Your Ground laws that have proliferated in at least 20 states are associated with vigilantism, authorizing violence by individuals who perceive a “reasonable” imminent threat to their life, without any duty to attempt retreat. But they have also taken the lives of a dramatic number of young victims.
A properly instructed jury should have heard the complete law of self-defense in Florida, not just the portions that helped Zimmerman. Had the jury been instructed about the initial aggressor exception, it might have concluded that Zimmerman’s following of Martin, though itself not criminal, was reasonably apprehended by Martin as a “threat of force.” Put another way, the jury might have concluded that Martin was the one acting in self-defense during the physical confrontation that preceded the gunshot, making Zimmerman the aggressor.
- Did “Stand Your Ground” Matter in the George Zimmerman Case? (lawprofessors.typepad.com)
- Zimmerman Jury Was Misled About The Meaning of Florida’s Self Defense Law (politicususa.com)
- Alafair Burke: What You May Not Know About the Zimmerman Verdict: The Evolution of a Jury Instruction (huffingtonpost.com)
- Juror: Trayvon Martin “played a huge role in his death.” (Did prosecution play role in acquittal?) (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Silence outside the courthouse following Zimmerman verdict (video.msnbc.msn.com)
- Jurors find Zimmerman not guilty (appeal-democrat.com)
- Rallies against Zimmerman verdict being held in US (miamiherald.com)
Blocking off all traffic on the highway, the crash landing sent up a major cloud of black smoke, leading to a barrage of 911 calls claiming to have seen a plane spark and catch fire. Tyndall has explicitly confirmed it to be a QF-4 drone, which are modified F-4 Phantoms (pictured below) meant to be used as a target for test weapons. So essentially, this is what we’re dealing with:
- Rogue drone crashes, gives up operator’s secrets (conservativebyte.com)
- Drone falls dangerously out of sky; Local news station reveals what it had been filming (politics.kfyi.com)
- Unmanned Drone Detonated Off Coast of Gulf County (wjhg.com)
- Drone Loses Control Over Highway in Florida and Crashes into a Tree! (tatoott1009.com)
- Tuesday Open Thread – June 25th (theconservativetreehouse.com)
SANFORD, Fla./NEW YORK (Reuters) – One year after the fatal Florida shooting of unarmed teen Trayvon Martin sparked national debate about gun laws and racial profiling, his parents prepared for a solemn vigil in Manhattan on Tuesday as they continue to crusade for stricter gun laws.
Meanwhile, George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who shot Martin during an altercation, remained out of sight, preparing for the possibility of a high-profile murder trial scheduled for June in Florida.
- Morning Jolt: Today is anniversary of Trayvon Martin shooting (galesburg.com)
- Trayvon Martin family in NYC on anniversary (newsday.com)
- Trayvon’s parents: ‘Let the jury decide’ (cnn.com)
- Trayvon Martin’s parents ready to let jury decide fate of killer (fox6now.com)
- Remembering Trayvon Martin one year late (local10.com)
- Florida town remembers Trayvon Martin a year after killing (news.terra.com)
After the death of the black 17-year-old at the hands of a neighborhood watch leader, civil rights leaders warned that Sanford risked its reputation as an upscale Mayberry and could become a 21st century version of civil rights flashpoints like Selma, Ala.
It seems Mayberry won out — at least for now. Downtown is abuzz with the activity of 1st Street shops and restaurants, not the sounds of marching protesters.
- A year after Martin’s death, Sanford is healing (khou.com)
- A year after Martin’s death, Sanford is healing (foxnews.com)
- A year after Martin’s death, Sanford is healing (utsandiego.com)
- Sanford Marks Anniversary Of Trayvon Martin Shooting (miami.cbslocal.com)
- A year after Trayvon Martin’s death, town healing (thenewstribune.com)
- A year after Martin’s death, Sanford is healing (ktvb.com)
- A year after Martin’s death, Sanford is healing (kvue.com)
The Gullah Wars
- Gullah float to appear in inaugural parade (kansascity.com)
- Gullah float to appear in inaugural parade (heraldonline.com)
- Today’s farm stands took root in a Gullah farming past (islandpacket.com)
- PHOTO: Gullah culture with good food and fun on the side (islandpacket.com)
- Ramblings: Gullah on my mind, part 1. (southbyse.com)
- Gullah float to appear in inaugural parade (kvue.com)
- Gullah float to appear in inaugural parade (wbtw.com)
- Gullah float to appear in inaugural parade (seattletimes.com)
- Gullah float to appear in inaugural parade (utsandiego.com)
- Gullah float to appear in inaugural parade (nctimes.com)
On New Year’s Day 1923 a crowd of Whites marched on the Black community of Rosewood, Florida seeking retribution for an alleged assault on a White woman by a Rosewood resident. A group of White men captured an African American, Sam Carter, and shot him and hung his lifeless body, but by January 4th a brewing mob marched on Rosewood, angered by the suggestion Rosewood had provided refuge to Carter.
- Dallas Wedding at Rosewood Crescent Hotel from Gibson Events (stylemepretty.com)
- The Archaeology of Race, Shame, and Redemption (paulmullins.wordpress.com)
- Interracial Relationship with a “Flip” (myculturalconversations.wordpress.com)
- My Heart Went Out. ” DEPRESSION: my muse (innerstandingisness.com)
- Shock Empire X Rosewood (shockempire.com)
- Dr Claud Anderson More Dirty Little Secrets About Black History Its Heroes & Other Troublemakers – YouTube (talibmuhammad.com)
- The Awakening – The Controversial and Fashionable Stageplay by Antonio Wingfield Debuts at the Naomi Bruton Theater in Dallas TX March 22 – 24, 2013 (prweb.com)
In Cleveland, this week, 13 police officers, 12 whites and one Hispanic, fired 137 bullets at a Black man and woman after a high-speed car chase. No weapon was found on their bullet-riddled bodies. Community members charged the victims were lynched.
Less than two weeks before, in Jacksonville, Florida, a white man who didn’t like Black teenagers playing loud music at a gas station fired eight or nine shots at 17-year-old, unarmed, Jordan Davis, killing him. The middle-aged shooter claimed he was justified by Florida’s “stand your ground” law that allows white people to act out their fears, hatreds, or mood swings with impunity – the same claim made by another Florida gunman when he executed 17 year-old Trayvon Martin without trial or “right of appeal.”
- Turn the music up for Jordan Russell Davis (thegrio.com)
- If you are a young black man, who you are is threat enough (tv.msnbc.com)
- O’Donnell rewrites Jordan Davis’s death (tv.msnbc.com)
- 3 Chics Presents: Trayvon Martin, Gone But NEVER Forgotten (3chicspolitico.com)
- Jordan Russell Davis: Death Of Another Unarmed Black Teenager (atlantablackstar.com)
- “At least 8 shots” (boomantribune.com)
- Family And Friends Gather To Say Good-Bye To Jordan Davis [VIDEO] (newsone.com)
- Houses for Rent in Jacksonville, FL Now Listed Online at HomesJacksonvilleFlorida.com (prweb.com)
- Homes for Sale in Jacksonville, FL Now Listed Online at HomesJacksonvilleFlorida.com (prweb.com)
Now that Jill Kelley has broken her silence in a Daily Beast interview, the question naturally arises whether David Petraeus’s former mistress might do the same.
People familiar with her thinking tell me the answer is yes.
Broadwell plans to answer questions about the Petraeus mess in a limited way, they say, as a way of putting the sordid controversy behind her.
- Jill Kelley on Those Emails From Broadwell: ‘Threats’ (politics.kfyi.com)
- Jill Kelley on Those Emails From Broadwell: ‘Threats’ (mega949.com)
- Jill Kelley on Those Emails From Broadwell: ‘Threats’ (ktrh.com)
- Jill Kelley on Those Emails From Broadwell: ‘Threats’ (1045wfla.com)
- Jill Kelley on Those Emails From Broadwell: ‘Threats’ (radio.woai.com)
- Jill Kelley on Those Emails From Broadwell: ‘Threats’ (schnittshow.com)
- EXCLUSIVE: Jill Kelley tells Howard Kurtz she was ‘terrified’ by Broadwell emails (startingpoint.blogs.cnn.com)
- Jill Kelley on Those Emails From Broadwell: ‘Threats’ (newser.com)
- A Behind-The-Scenes Look at the Jill Kelley Interview (daily-download.com)