Two new polls published by Gallup offer an interesting look at the Baby Boomer Generation, those Americans born between 1946 and 1964. Researchers at Gallup found Boomers are more than likely to be of a conservative ideology when it comes to their politics, and also show a significant rate of depression. Perhaps it’s not surprising that we often consider conservatives as old people who seem to be angry about everything. While Boomers may not think of themselves as old, most will admit to being pissed off about something most of time.
After perusing the output of some of the finest brains in the therapy profession, I’ve come to the conclusion that misery is an art form, and the satisfaction people seem to find in it reflects the creative effort required to cultivate it. In other words, when your living conditions are stable, peaceful, and prosperous—no civil wars raging in your streets, no mass hunger, no epidemic disease, no vexation from poverty—making yourself miserable is a craft all its own, requiring imagination, vision, and ingenuity. It can even give life a distinctive meaning.
Only about half of those who have dysthymia ever seek treatment for it, and most live with the condition for 30 years. It differs from depression in that it is so long lasting and not temporary.
According to the National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellent, the guidelines for a diagnosis of dysthymia are two symptoms of depression which last two years or more. For a depression diagnosis, it is three symptoms in two weeks.
- MIT Educated Engineer Builds a Business by Teaching Math to Kids | Techyville (habariganiamerica.com)
- U.S. Citizens Are Sicker and Live Shorter Lives Than People In Other Countries | Techyville (habariganiamerica.com)
- Unemployed Black Woman Pretends to be White, Job Offers Suddenly Skyrocket | Techyville (habariganiamerica.com)
- Analyst Says that Going to Law School Might be a Huge Mistake Due to Oversupply of Attorneys | Techyville (habariganiamerica.com)
- Exercise: How To Get Started If You Have Neglected It | Techyville (habariganiamerica.com)
- Dysthymia: Tired, grumpy and cynical? You’re not just an old grouch – you may be ill (thisismoney.co.uk)
- Bet You Didn’t Know NRA Leader’s Son Fired at Another Motorist During a Road Rage Incident | Techyville (artstarzz.wordpress.com)
- How To Test For Depression (answers.com)
- When Depression and Hearing Loss Collide (healthyhearing.com)
- Irritable Male Syndrome? (therealsharon.com)
After Grammy Awards, national tours and magazine spreads, it’s hard to believe that an international superstar would have trouble getting out of bed in the morning. However, Michelle Williams, one-third of Destiny’s Child, has revealed that depression is more common than many people think.
- Destiny’s Child’s Michelle Williams Reveals Battle with Depression (atlantablackstar.com)
- Michelle Williams Reveals Battle With Depression (jessicasimien.com)
- Michelle Williams Reveals Battle With Depression, Ahead Of Possible Super Bowl Show (contactmusic.com)
- ‘Destiny’s Child’ member Michelle Williams reveals secret battle with depression (examiner.com)
- Michelle Williams suffered with depression (contactmusic.com)
- destiny’s child michelle williams battle with depression (thesun.co.uk)
- Michelle Williams’ Fight With Depression (abcnews.go.com)
People lead depressed lifestyles before they feel blue. If they believed they could avoid hitting bottom, their recovery could be much faster.
- Lifescript.com – I can’t get past the info part (usaconsumercomplaints.com)
- Hitting Rock Bottom is not The End (thedepressedmoose.com)
- Feeling Blue? New Campaign to Beat Depression Will Help Change That in 21 Days (prweb.com)
- How Marketers Can Overcome Tradeshow Depression [cartoon] (hubspot.com)
- Lifescript.com – They promise samples galore, and special offers, and then NEVER DELIVER (usaconsumercomplaints.com)
- Hockey is the best medicine for Reg Thomas Jr. (lfpress.com)
- How to Help Someone with Depression (psychologytoday.com)
- 5 Things to Keep in Mind When Dealing With Someone Who Has Depression (humansareweird.com)
- Food That Can Trigger Depression (belmarrahealth.com)
You roll over, get out of bed, go in the bathroom & wash your face with hot water … You look in your refrigerator, but the eggs, bacon, fruit & raisin bagels don’t look appetizing … You don’t feel like drinking juice or coffee so you grab a bottle of water … You go to your closet, but you can’t decide which out fit wear … You pick up your cell phone, call in sick, turn on the TV, then lay back down on your pillow top mattress … It sure is tough being depressed in America
- Watch “Ep 2. Overcoming Fear of Public Speaking – Presentation Skills” on YouTube (roulle2k.wordpress.com)
- New immigration rule will ease family separations (mercurynews.com)
The 1994 PBS documentary on the life of Malcolm X
This is a two minute segment from Episode 3 of ‘Culture In Decline’ in which Lee Camp critiques modern culture… Hilarious!
- Lee Camp: Rantings of a Stark Raving Sane Man Trapped in a Corporatocracy (sgtreport.com)
- 7 Ways to Beat the Ballot Bandits Lee Camp’s Videos (gregpalast.com)
- Leicester 2-2 Nott’m Forest (oddonion.com)
- SOS: Sarcasm, Obsessions & Stamina – Part 1 ~ Deidra Schaub (sufey.org)
- What Did The World Search For In Google Zeitgeist 2012 (retiredowhat.wordpress.com)
- Do You Know Someone with Consumption-Vanity Disorder? (musicians4freedom.com)
- Music, faith, humor meet in ‘Tokens’ (blogs.tennessean.com)
- Lee Camp: ‘Wait, WHO Owns The F***ing Voting Machines?!’ (crooksandliars.com)
- Camp Award Finalists: Klein, Manziel, Te’o, Barner, Lee (connecticut.cbslocal.com)