The experiences of African Americans and Palestinians with systemic mass incarceration are also strikingly similar. Forty percent of Palestinian men have been arrested and detained by Israel at some point in their lives. (To put this in perspective, the 2008 figure for Blacks was 1 in 11.) Israel maintains policies of detaining and interrogating Palestinian children that bear resemblance to the stop and frisk policy and disproportionate raids and arrests many of our youth face.
Author Alice Walker wrote an open letter to Alicia Keys urging her to cancel her upcoming concert in Isreal. Keys, who is currently on her “Set The World On Fire” Tour, is due to perform in Tel Aviv on July 4, but not if Walker can help it. Her open letter advises the “New Day” singer to avoid the country because of its conflict with Palestine and suggests that she pull out of the scheduled concert completely. “It would grieve me to know you are putting yourself in danger (soul danger) by performing in an apartheid country that is being boycotted by many global conscious artists,” the letter reads. “Please, if you can manage it, go to visit the children in Gaza, and sing to them of our mutual love of all children, and of their right not to be harmed simply because they exist.” Keys has yet to respond to Walker’s plea, but upon announcing her tour in January she stated, “I’m excited to go to new places on this tour, among them Tel Aviv. I plan on bringing with me a show full of emotion and inspiration.”
- Alice Walker, Roger Waters call on Alicia Keys to cancel TLV concert (timesofisrael.com)
- Roger Waters joins Alice Walker in plea to Alicia Keys not to play Israel (mondoweiss.net)
- Alice Walker Absolutely Does Not Want Alicia Keys to Perform in Israel (colorlines.com)
- Open letter from Alice Walker to Alicia Keys (wakeupfromillusion.wordpress.com)
Yes, we are repped all over the world, even in Poland.
The 8th annual AfryKamera African Film Festival, jointly organized by two NGOs from Poland: Filmgramm Foundation and the Foundation for Somalia, will take place in Warsaw from the 10th to the 14th of April, 2013.
- Black Filmmaker Wins Top Prize At Sundance Film Festival (therussparrmorningshow.com)
- Berlin film festival 2013: key films – in pictures (guardian.co.uk)
- At least 50 African children paralyzed after receiving Bill Gates-backed meningitis vaccine (habariganiamerica.com)
- Berlin Film Festival Offers Political Awareness With Your Popcorn (rferl.org)
- Consumer Protection Act : Gov does not want to practise that it preaches (bananaza.wordpress.com)
- Cinema Verde Environmental Film & Arts Festival (gogreennation.org)
- Five Festivals Every Film Lover Should Attend (pinkandblack-magazine.com)
- How the African diaspora is using social media to influence development (guardian.co.uk)
- Skiing Off the Beaten Track (epicatravel.com)
- Celebration of Black Cinema (utsandiego.com)