After placing fifth in Miss Universe 2015…Kaci Fennell returned Home to Jamaica and walked into our camera to answer questions about her hair, placing fifth, and her future plans
The 15-year-old budding entrepreneur first started his Island business at the tender age of eight. He supplied greeting cards to customers, the whole process of which, including the graphic designs, he did all by himself. The only help along the way for his business was a small capital outlay from his parents to get him started. He became successful and attained international customers.After his success in the greeting card company, young Warren turned his hand to making investments in hedge funds, private equity, and real estate, all by the time he had reached the age of 13. His company, the Abella Group, now has around 50 to 60 clients worldwide for whom he designs and maintains websites.
Merely two days after the attack on the Marine barracks in Beirut (October 23, 1983), Ronald Reagan ordered the invasion of Grenada. An opportunity for intervention presented itself after infighting in Grenada’s government exploded into full view, with the execution on October 19 of Maurice Bishop and seven others, including cabinet ministers, who were all executed by firing squad along with an unknown number of supporters of Bishop who had earlier freed him from imprisonment. The immediate culprits of this internal coup were the Deputy Prime Minister, Bernard Coard (released from prison in 2009) and the head of the People’s Revolutionary Army, Hudson Austin. Reagan had prepared for action against Grenada, and now the time seemed ideal.
We do not have to smile for you. Our smiles are our own. Our lips are our own, and our smiles are a celebration of our happiness. We do not have to smile on command. We are not pretty, little, Black dolls whose smiles were painted on with red paint and a plastic brush. Sometimes, we’re busy. We’re busy thinking about geo-political trends, the next 10-mile run, or the latest cricket match. We’re too busy to be the smiling decoration that we, as women, are expected to be. Our faces can be thoughtful, angry, sad, peaceful, meditative, or bored. So stop, Caribbean men. Stop walking up to us, harassing us, and demanding that we smile. We do not have to smile for you. Our smiles are our own.
- Paid Sick Leave Pays for Itself: So Why Is NYC’s Mayoral Hopeful Blocking It? (talkingunion.wordpress.com)
- It’s Wrong to Target Unwed Mothers (clutchmagonline.com)
- The Caribbean after Chavez (trinidadexpress.com)
- How Do You Prove That Discrimination No Longer Exists? (smd12364.newsvine.com)
- RH Reality Check’s flimsiest smear yet: Pro-lifers want population control for Muslims (or something) (liveactionnews.org)
- Senseisha: Memoirs Of The Caribbean Woman (Barbados) (seawoman.wordpress.com)
- Katy S: In New Push for “Personhood,” Arizona Anti-Choicers Push Bill to Track Every Embryo – RH Reality Check (rhrealitycheck.org)
Yes, we are repped all over the world, even in Poland.
The 8th annual AfryKamera African Film Festival, jointly organized by two NGOs from Poland: Filmgramm Foundation and the Foundation for Somalia, will take place in Warsaw from the 10th to the 14th of April, 2013.
- Black Filmmaker Wins Top Prize At Sundance Film Festival (therussparrmorningshow.com)
- Berlin film festival 2013: key films – in pictures (guardian.co.uk)
- At least 50 African children paralyzed after receiving Bill Gates-backed meningitis vaccine (habariganiamerica.com)
- Berlin Film Festival Offers Political Awareness With Your Popcorn (rferl.org)
- Consumer Protection Act : Gov does not want to practise that it preaches (bananaza.wordpress.com)
- Cinema Verde Environmental Film & Arts Festival (gogreennation.org)
- Five Festivals Every Film Lover Should Attend (pinkandblack-magazine.com)
- How the African diaspora is using social media to influence development (guardian.co.uk)
- Skiing Off the Beaten Track (epicatravel.com)
- Celebration of Black Cinema (utsandiego.com)