Stereotypical portrayals of Black women as overly sexualized or subservient, destitute women are pervasive on television, movie screens, and music videos, as well as most “general market” magazine covers, where primarily light-skinned Black women are featured. The schools are no safe havens from this assault on Blackness.
Black soldiers, specifically identified as Moors, were actively recruited by Rome, and served in Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Poland, and Romania. St. Maurice, patron saint of medieval Europe, was only one of many black soldiers and officers under the employ of the Roman Empire.
Although generations of Spanish rulers have tried to expunge this era from the historical record, recent archeology and scholarship now shed fresh light on the Moors who flourished in Al-Andalus for more than 700 years – from 711 AD until 1492. The Moorish advances in mathematics, astronomy, art, and agriculture helped propel Europe out of the Dark Ages and into the Renaissance.
THE ZANJ REVOLT
The largest revolt by enslaved Africans was ignited by the Zanj against Arab slavers. The Zanj or Zinj were the inhabitants of the land along the coast of East Africa. They were traded as slaves by Arabs and were made to work in the cruel and humid saltpans of Shatt-al-Arab, near Basra in modern-day Iraq. Conscious of their large numbers and oppressive working conditions, the Zanj rebelled three times.
The largest of these rebellions lasted from 868 to 883 A.D., during which they inflicted repeated defeat on Arab armies sent to suppress the revolt. For some 14 years, they continued to achieve remarkable military victories and even built their own capital–Moktara, the Elect City.
Boa Sr was the oldest of the Great Andamanese, who now number just 52. Originally ten distinct tribes, the Great Andamanese were 5,000 strong when the British colonized the Andaman Islands in 1858. Most were killed or died of diseases brought by the colonizers.
If these numbers turn out to be right – they’re just projections and could change significantly under unforeseen circumstances – the world of 2100 will look very different than the world of today, with implications for everyone. It will be a place where today’s dominant, developed economies are increasingly focused on supporting the elderly, where the least developed countries are transformed by population booms and where Africa, for better or worse, is more important than ever.
I sincerely appreciate the care & concern of the People over my well-being after Press TV’s report of the most recent events which have transpired regarding the F.B.I.’s harassment of me.
Given the storm of lies, and half-truths that come with being associated with being the descendant of El Hajj Malik el Shabazz, also known as Minister Malcolm X, any and everything that I do; great or small, good or not so good, real or imagined is subject to controversy. However, in this missive I will take this opportunity to properly & fully disclose what transpired.
In the beginning of 2012 I had been informed that I was under investigation by the F.B.I.’s Counter Terrorism Task Force Unit located in Goshen, N.Y.
- Malcolm Shabazz, Grandson Of Malcolm X, Dead (newsone.com)
- Malcolm Shabazz: Malcolm X grandson killed in Mexico after ‘bar bill row’ (metro.co.uk)
- Malcolm X’s Grandson, Malcolm Shabazz, Reported Dead (allhiphop.com)
- Malcolm Shabazz, Grandson of Malcolm X, Killed In Mexico (hiphopwired.com)
- Malcolm Shabazz, grandson of Malcolm X, dead in Mexico (thegrio.com)
- REPORT: Grandson of Malcolm X Dies in Tijuana (blackamericaweb.com)
- Malcolm Shabazz, Grandson Of Malcolm X, Dead At 28 – by Kirsten West Savali (worldshiaforum.wordpress.com)
The sprawling novel about an African family dispersed throughout the world has also taken Ms. Selasi around the world. She did a prepublication tour last year, which introduced her to booksellers in this country and in the U.K., and is about to embark on a 10-city U.S. tour, followed by stops in England, Germany and the Netherlands, for “phase one” of the rollout. The book is being published in 14 countries besides the U.S., and phase two will include a visit to Italy in September. The tours are somewhat unusual for a first-time author and a signal that her publisher, Penguin Press, is committed to making her a literary star.
- African novels to look out for (guardian.co.uk)
Invest in The COWS – http://tiny.cc/ledjb
Report on Christopher Dorner: http://tiny.cc/dorner
Counter-Racist analysis of murder suspect, Victim of Racism Christopher Dorner. Neely Fuller, Jr. and Gus T. Renegade offer their views and these events. No aspect of these killings combats the System of White Supremacy/Racism. Any non-white purpose can choose to utilize counter-violence. However, no counter-racist effort should result in harm to other non-white people (Victims of Racism). My sympathies to the Lawrence and Quan families.
- Christopher Dorner: Fugitive ex-cop’s online rant puts focus on LAPD’s troubled racial legacy (wjla.com)
- Christopher Dorner Memes Hit The Internet (PHOTOS) (blogs.laweekly.com)
- Sick: Moral degenerates embrace Christopher Dorner across social media (twitchy.com)
- Christopher Dorner: Some African Americans Believe Racism Allegations, Call Him ‘Hero’ (blogs.laweekly.com)
- ‘When he’s finished Chris Dorner’s name gonna be frozen in Black History month forever’ (twitchy.com)
- School Mentioned in Dorner Manifesto Closed (ktla.com)
- Support for Christopher Dorner Spreads Across Internet (atlantablackstar.com)
- Twitter users declare murder suspect Christopher Dorner a ‘modern day,’ ‘real life’ Django (twitchy.com)
- Anderson Cooper reportedly received ominous package from Christopher Dorner (swrnn.com)
- LAPD Wants Christopher Dorner Dead | American Live Wire (habariganiamerica.com)
Ijaw (also known by the subgroups”Ijo”or”Izon“) are a collection of peoples indigenous mostly to the forest regions of the Bayelsa, Delta, and Rivers States within the Niger Delta in Nigeria. Some are natives of Akwa-Ibom, Edo, and Ondo states also in Nigeria. Many are found as migrant fishermen in camps as far west as Sierra Leone and as far east as Gabon along the Western Africa coastline.They are believed to be some of the earliest inhabitants of southern Nigeria.The Ijaws currently numbering about 15 million have long lived in locations near many sea trade routes, and were well connected to other areas by trade as early as the 15th century. Ijaw people sit on Nigeria`s rich oil lands.
- Ijaw threatens to expose Chevron over imposition (vanguardngr.com)
- Diary of an ex-militant kingpin in the creeks: I was like a walking corpse for two years (vanguardngr.com)
- Stunning Images Capture Raw Brutality Of Life In Niger Delta (warnewsupdates.blogspot.com)
- Ijaw laud Lakemfa’s election as OATUU scribe (vanguardngr.com)
- Niger Delta: Rich in oil, yet so poor they slaughter goats, these stunning photos show raw brutality of life (dailymail.co.uk)
- Filipino Sailor Killed By Nigerian Pirates in Another Attack on a Tanker (gcaptain.com)
- 2015: Jonathan woos S’East, S’West with state creation (ejaife.wordpress.com)
- 50cent to feature in Nollywood Film (dailygistxtra.com)
- When Melford Goodhead Met Asari Dokubo (greenlightng.wordpress.com)
- 50 Cent Heads For Nollywood To Feature In A Movie Directed By Emeka Ike (rewindonnet.wordpress.com)
One of the greatest tragedies about South African society is how entrenched mob psychology is. Our retreat from engaging objectively on matters of racial antagonisms has resulted in the naturalisation of opinionated prejudice and a herd mentality. But more than that, it has resulted in the tendency to shift from fundamental questions as we employ our energies on vilifying folk devils that are a creation of moral panic, which is largely fuelled by the media. While Malema is not necessarily an angel with a shining halo, he is also not the monster he is projected as and in fact, he is one of the young people with the greatest potential to re-write the narrative of the oppressed black majority in this country. But to understand the vital role Malema has played and is yet to play, we must first understand black not as subjects of political and media chess, but as a people with a history that has shaped our collective consciousness.
- Malema feeding the nation (politic007.wordpress.com)
- Julius Malema is not dead (politic007.wordpress.com)
- Julius Malema ‘facing bankruptcy’ in South Africa (telegraph.co.uk)
- Sticks and Stones May Break Your Bones – Gregory Stanton (southafricanews.wordpress.com)
- Malema could farm his way into the people’s hearts (politic007.wordpress.com)
- South Africa in ‘State of Anarchy’ (southafricanews.wordpress.com)
- Finally, the Swaggering Republicans Are Afraid (mscyprah.newsvine.com)
- Renouncing the Rhino, Part 2: The Rhino Conservation Complex (africasacountry.com)
- The ANC’s top 10 PR disasters of 2012 (dailymaverick.co.za)