Only Congress can avoid this self-inflicted wound to our economy and middle class families, and the only thing standing in the way of a solution today is Congressional Republicans’ refusal to even consider closing tax loopholes that benefit wealthy Americans and well-connected corporations. The President and Congressional Democrats have put forward solutions to avoid these cuts and allow time for both sides to work on a long-term, balanced solution to our deficit challenges.
The President is serious about cutting spending, reforming entitlements and the tax code to reduce the deficit in a balanced way. The question is, will Congressional Republicans come to the table to get something done?
- Obama to governors: Help me get Congress to act on sequester (cbsnews.com)
- Elizabeth Warren: Sequester cuts are ‘just plain dumb’ (tv.msnbc.com)
- Va. shipyard latest setting for Obama sequester strategy (cbsnews.com)
- The Morning Plum: Questions for the “blame it on both sides” crowd (washingtonpost.com)
- The President’s Sequester Deception (commentarymagazine.com)